Are you tired of cookie sandwiches yet? No? Good! Because I’m proud to introduce one of the most popular cookie sandwiches I have ever made!
Now, I’ve seen what seems like hundreds of recipes for pumpkin all over the internet. But I was really skeptical of these chocolate and pumpkin recipes. I thought, “Do what? What an odd combination of flavors…”
But you guys seem to love it. I see pumpkin and chocolate cheesecake, pumpkin and chocolate pie, pumpkin and chocolate tarts, pumpkin bread with chocolate chips, and so on and so forth.
So I decided I was going to hop on this bandwagon in a different manner and go with a chocolate cookie sandwich with pumpkin cream cheese filling!
Boy was I glad I did that.
This chocolate cookie is actually a brookie. A brownie + cookie. It’s fudgy, dense, and chewy, just like a brownie! It has three, count ’em, THREE, kinds of chocolate in the recipe. Oh yeah, you read that right.
Once you make the brookies, you’ll whip up the cream cheese filling. It’s got cream cheese, pumpkin, brown and granulated sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla. Simple ingredients you keep in your house, and no messy powdered sugar!
I was seriously afraid that the brookie would over power the pumpkin flavor on this recipe, but lo and behold, the were perfect together! You get that rich and semi-sweet flavor of the brookie paired with the creamy, sweet, and pumpkin-y flavor of the filling to create a lovely combination in your mouth. It’s hard to explain, but once you make these you’ll understand. No wonder people love chocolate and pumpkin together!
Now if I can just find an excuse to make these outside of the holiday season…
- For the brookie –
- 1 C + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate (chips, pieces, etc.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 C light brown sugar
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 C mini chocolate chips
- For the filling –
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 C pureed pumpkin
- 1/4 C light brown sugar
- 1/8 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the brookie –
1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate in the microwave for in 30 second increments until melted. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla. Set aside. Cream the butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in the sugars
3. Mix in the beaten egg/vanilla until incorporated. Add the chocolate in a steady stream and beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients on slow speed. Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
4. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scoop about 1 Tbsp of dough and roll into a slightly flattened ball. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the top has begun to look matte.
For the filling –
Cream the cream cheese and pumpkin until fluffy. Add in sugars, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla until fully combined and no lumps remain. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Making the Sandwich –
Fill a gallon size Ziploc bag with the filling. Cut the tip of the corner off and pipe the filling onto the flat side of the cookie. Place another cookie on top, flat side down.