|My first, second, and third place ribbons!|
1/2 C powdered sugar
3/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
1 + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 + 1/2 C all-purpose flour
Cinnamon Filling –
1 large egg white
1 tbsp water
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 + 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 C powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 C heavy cream or whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, butter, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add in the flour and mix until the dough is fully combined. Form into into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Take out the dough and roll it into a rectangle 12 inches wide and about 9 inches long. I used a small cookie sheet to help me with the size and shape.
3. For the filling – in a small bowl mix together the egg white and water. In another bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Using a brush, coat the dough with the egg white mixture and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top. Roll the dough up like a cinnamon bun and wrap and place in the freezer until firm.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a large cookie sheet using parchment paper or a Silpat. Take the dough out of the freezer and slice into thin slices and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let them cool completely before icing.
5. For the glaze, mix the powdered sugar, cream/milk, and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle on top of the cookies.