This recipe was something I was not intending to make! I was attending a graduation party at my professor’s luxurious house and decided to bring a treat for everyone. I had originally meant to make almost a cannoli-like dessert with fresh fruit, but things seem to go horribly awry when you don’t have vanilla extract! How did I run out of that?!
So in order to improvise, I used those Cinnamon Chips I mentioned in my Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts recipe. You wouldn’t believe how tasty these were. There wasn’t a single one left!
These recipe has three components, but they are so easy it’s almost a joke! Keep it our little secret, and all your friends will be blown away by your delicious baking talent!
2 packages Pillsbury pie dough
2 3/4 C milk (I used Almond Milk and Heavy Cream)
2/3 C white sugar
1/4 C cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp butter
1/4 C cinnamon chips
Fresh fruit (I used bananas and strawberries, but you can use whatever you want)
1. Prep a mini cupcake pan by greasing and flouring it (or using a flour Pam spray). Set aside.
2. Roll out the pie dough onto a floured surface or a silpat baking sheet. Using a cookie cutter, rim of a small cup, or whatever creative you can think of to use, cut out round pieces of pie dough a little bit larger than your cupcake pan mold (I used a small glass cup).
3. Press the dough down into the cupcake molds gently so you don’t rip the dough. Cut out small pieces of aluminum foil and press it down into the dough. This prevents it from puffing up while it’s baking.
4. Place the dough in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Bake the mini tarts for 10 minutes until it’s a nice golden brown. If you need to bake past 10 minutes, remove the foil.
To Make the Cream Filling:
1. Add milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks to a microwave-safe bowl. Whisk until well mixed together. Microwave 6 minutes on HIGH, whisking after 3 minutes, then every minute after.
2. Add butter and cinnamon chips and whisk until smooth.
Fill each tart shell with cream filling. Top with sliced fruit of your choice. Do not assemble until an hour before serving.