These aren’t your typical whoopie pies. It’s like heaven descended on earth and left a dessert. No joke.
Homemade Caramel Sauce (if you want the original directions, click here)
1. Place sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat and stir the until sugar has dissolved.
2. Dissolve any crystals forming on the side with a wet pastry brush.
3. Once sugar has dissolved increase heat to high.
4. At this point do not stir the mixture directly. Now and then, using the handle, give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute or so.
5. After 3-4 minutes the mixture will turn from a light amber to medium amber and then finally to a dark reddish brown color. Once the mixture starts to smoke, add the butter and heavy cream. The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine (bubbles will subside upon cooling). Set aside to cool completely.
Brownie Sandwich with Salted Caramel Buttercream (Original recipe here)
12 oz. chocolate, chopped (I used one bag of Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips)
3 tablespoons butter
⅔ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
Salted Caramel Creme Filling (by Bakers Royale):
1 cup butter
2 cups confectioner sugar
1/4 teaspoon salted
1/4 cup caramel (Make sure caramel is cooled if making homemade.)
To make brownie cookies:
1. Place 7oz. of the chocolate and the butter in a saucepan over low heat and gently stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
2. Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add in flour, baking powder, melted chocolate mixture, remaining 5 oz. of chocolate and mix to combine. Set aside to to stand for 10 minutes. Spoon 2 tablespoonful of the mixture, onto parchment lined bake sheet. Bake for about 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked. Allow to cool completely on trays.
To make caramel creme filling:
1. Place butter in a bowl and beat until creamed. Add in confectioner sugar and salt and beat until light combined. Add in caramel and beat until combined.
How to put it together:
1. Spread or pipe a teaspoon and a half of caramel creme on underside of one brownie cookie and place a second brownie cookie bottom side down on top frosting.