It’s getting cooler in Norman, OK, FINALLY! I really wanted to enjoy some soup while the weather is cool, and I have been under the weather for the last week and a half. I love Kale, but I wasn’t sure if Kale soup would be any good. Boy, was I wrong! This is delicious!
I found the recipe online, not remembering where exactly, but it’s nice to find vegetarian and hearty soups/chilis for me and the boy. He can’t eat much (I think it’s horrible, but he enjoys his diet, and it’s for his future success and career), so this was a winner!
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans white kidney beans (also called navy beans) – drained
- 1 bunch of kale – rinsed and chopped into 2 inch strips
- 1 large purple/red onion – finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium pan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until soft, then season with salt and pepper.
2. Stir in tomato paste + vinegar – cook around 3 minutes.
3. In a large soup pot, add in tomatoes, beans and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and stir in kale.
5. Cover pot around 5 minutes until kale is just starts to turn bright green. Pair with a grilled cheese, or just by itself, and enjoy!